Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Art Hungry

I'm on a mission to add more art into my life. This is no easy task, given I work part-time, volunteer part-time, and am a full-time grad student. I don't even know how it's all mathematically possible!

But I've been on-purpose trying to consume less sugar for my highs and take in more art instead. I'm attending more plays, viewing more films, watching recorded Broadway productions on my computer, visiting museums, checking out art sites online, going to concerts, discovering new music, and of course reading the kind of stories that nourish.

While I'm also getting in my bits and pieces of fluffy Pop culture, especially when I'm winding down from a rough scholarly day and nursing a migraine, I am on-purpose planning times throughout my week to feed my soul. Art does this. I think it's what I've been missing and why I've been feeling so empty and without direction.

2014 has been a particularly difficult year for me, both emotionally and health-wise, and perhaps there's some correlation between the two. But returning to art has had this wonderful healing effect on me. I only wish I had more time to devote to it and really create some of my own.

There are times in life that are busier and times that are more mundane. I'm at a busy time. But that doesn't mean it has to be totally empty, all work and no play. We have to make time for play or the soul starts to dim. In a way, I feel like I'm returning to myself, amid the dark storms. Or at least I'm hoping I am. That's what it feels like.

And it's always good to Feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment