Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Autumn Equinox and the Night from Hell

Hey, it's the Autumn Equinox! How about some cooler weather now, Texas, eh??




So I don't know if it was the Equinox, or the fact that I'm trying to experiment getting off of Benadryl at night (sick of being groggy the next day), or because I recently read one of the most disturbing True Crime books I've ever read, but last night was one of the worst nights in dreamland that I've had in a while.

I went to bed around 10 because I'm an old lady now. But the freaky stuff all began when the house alarm started doing its stupid beeping-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing. Occasionally it does this; it's random. And I have to get up and press a button and it stops.

Well, I thought my clock said 6 a.m. when I got up to stop the beeps. But when I went back into the room, it was somewhere close to 1:00 a.m. I'd been having nightmares when the alarm woke me up and I wasn't looking forward to going back to sleep. I tried, but all I could think about was the horrors in that true crime book, which I don't recommend you read because it really is disturbing. And I love true crime. But too much is too much.

Heart pounding, I started thinking that there's some evil vibe nearby, like it's humming or something. I could hear it. So I got out of bed and turned both my overhead fan and stand-up fan off.

Silence...

Okay, so the humming was probably my blood-pressure. I checked some emails and finally went back to sleep.

Had some more creepy dreams, but this time, the kind where you think you've woken up again and are in the same room/house. But I wasn't, and some eerie things happened that I wouldn't like to recall, and then I woke up again for real. This time, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 a.m. Still dark as hell outside, and I was still scared and annoyed. And I had the sniffles from not taking a Benadryl. (This year has been the *worst* for allergies for me.)

So I turned on some lights and got my phone and a book and started looking up psychological withdrawal symptoms of Benadryl. I didn't find a whole lot. And really, I don't even know if withdrawal even applies to me because I've only been taking one pill at night. Oh, and during all this, I also played some gospel music because I was still scared out of my mind.

Fighting sleep because I didn't want to have more nightmares, I stayed up for about an hour until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. The next time I woke up, it was about 4 a.m. and I'd had more dreams, but these were more along the lines of a drama/suspense movie than horror. Better than the alternative.

Finally, the sun arrived, which brings us to this morning. So now I sit with my coffee, contemplating my psychological state, wondering if it's all just my vivid writer's imagination and if I should stay away from books and movies with disturbing themes because I'm ripe for being influenced by them...

What do you think?


6 comments:

  1. Ouch!

    I remember almost every dream I ever had since I was a kid, and 95% are dark and strange. I'm old enough now I enjoy them. What can I say, I'm a sick puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send mine your way! I'm just a big ol' wuss.

      Delete
  2. Wait until you're running through a recently active lava tube, and you can feel that dry heat on your back, because you know you're not going to make it. That's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!! Sometimes I'll have a lava dream, but it's more of a lava surrounding me in a wide radius at night, and it's all glowing, and I have to figure out a way to get out of the area.

      Delete
  3. Holy crap woman! I feel for you (having those horrific dreams) because I know the absolute terror that is present when you wake from something like that. I don't remember my dreams much anymore. The ones that occasionally wake me up crying or clutching my heart in agony (dreams of my kids dying - I know, my brain is so totally twisted) are the only ones I remember, and then only briefly.

    How twisted am I that I now want to go and read this book? I read the preview on Amazon and have bumped it to the Wish List roflmao!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you do get that book, don't say I didn't warn ya!!

      Delete