Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Wrapping up my Very First ESL Teaching Experience

Last week, I wrapped up teaching my 3-month ESL course where I'm volunteer teaching as an intern. It was a bittersweet graduation day, handing out those certificates and then sharing a potluck lunch with the students.




Even though there was a language barrier during the semester (I have *got* to brush up on my Spanish this summer), I really felt like I got to know my Beginner Level adult students by their personalities. And I learned a lot about teaching ESL, too.




It's my first semester in grad school, and my first semester getting any sort of education in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), so going into this internship, I felt pretty overwhelmed and terrified of teaching the Intro Level, where the students barely knew a few English words. And there were times I failed miserably in my effort to figure out what I was doing. But by my last day of teaching, the students actually gave me a round of applause. They thanked me countless times for teaching them, some even telling me that I was a good teacher. What a reward! And I have to say, I'm going to really miss these ladies. I found I like teaching Level Zero! Next up, I'm going to be teaching the Level Four (most advanced) class, so that'll be a whole new learning experience for me, and another great opportunity to make a difference. Looking forward to the future!


2 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with being you, starting from the ground up, or making mistakes. What they saw was you making an effort to do right by them, What more could they ask for?

    ReplyDelete