Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Five Fun Facts about WINGS OF THE DIVIDED




I always enjoy learning about the "behind the scenes" of movies, books, songs, etc. So I thought you might enjoy a few fun facts about the making of WINGS OF THE DIVIDED: THE DIVIDED BOOK 1. Here it goes!


1) My Fallen angel character Malynko originally had white hair. But while I was writing the first draft of this book, I had a rather intimidating dream about him. In it, he had raven black hair. When I woke up, I changed it to the color it is now (black!).

2) Originally, I didn't know what Malynko and Gidyon's original feud was about, why they seemed to hate/fear/obsess over one another. I had a few chapters of the book under my belt when I was driving to college class one day, and I realized (like "aha!") what had happened between them in the past. I didn't have a notebook, so I pulled into a parking spot and excitedly wrote it down on a napkin.

3) The Sivli sword that Fallen angel Laphelle carries was actually an idea I originally had for another (unfinished) book. In that fantasy story, the villain was named Sivli, and he had a wicked sword with a snake on the hilt that would come alive and drink its wielder's blood.

4) After finishing the novel, one of my critique-readers suggested I change the character Jack to a female, as there aren't many female characters in the book. Jack became "Rachel" for a while, and then I changed the name to "Jackie." After a couple of other critique-readers pitched a fit (they liked Jack), I changed it back to the original male character. And I'm glad I did, as he is one of my favorites.

5) WINGS OF THE DIVIDED was originally just titled THE DIVIDED, and I had no plans of making it into a trilogy. It was just a stand-alone. Or so I thought... Several months after writing BOOK 1, I realized the story wasn't finished yet. And I started in on BOOK 2.


Hope you enjoyed these little fun facts! I'm planning on doing another set for BOOK 2 and 3! Taa-taa for now!

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I haven't even read the book yet (I DO have it though!) and now I'm anticipating ripping into it over break even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C.J., I wish more writers would post things like this. I love reading how things came into being and the backstory behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many most artists just take the process for granted and are focused on the end product and promoting it. I like knowing the back story. Makes me feel like an insider! ;) Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  3. I share your fascination with angels...fallen or not, and your characters sound very intriguing. I read the generous excerpt from Amazon and...wow I love your style Carrie.I wish I had the talent to create such images...detailing means sooo much and I suck at it...
    Thank you for considering me for the Versatile Award, it's always a guilty pleasure to receive one, especially from you, I shall pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep at your craft, and if you want to be a descriptive writer, you can do it! I'd be glad to help you in any way I can :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow... I can't picture Malynko with white hair AT ALL!!!! Black suits him down to the ground! And yeah, Jack is much better as a male, in my mind.

    I also like the "behind the scenes" peek. It's the book version of what would be under "special features" on a DVD. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pssst.... and I nominated you for another blog award. ;) It's just your awesomeness that gets you these, you know. Keep on keepin' on, sista! **fist bump**

    http://musingsofamanicmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/2-awards-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete