Monday, April 22, 2013
Five Fun Facts about WINGS OF THE DIVIDED
I always enjoy learning about the "behind the scenes" of movies, books, songs, etc. So I thought you might enjoy a few fun facts about the making of WINGS OF THE DIVIDED: THE DIVIDED BOOK 1. Here it goes!
1) My Fallen angel character Malynko originally had white hair. But while I was writing the first draft of this book, I had a rather intimidating dream about him. In it, he had raven black hair. When I woke up, I changed it to the color it is now (black!).
2) Originally, I didn't know what Malynko and Gidyon's original feud was about, why they seemed to hate/fear/obsess over one another. I had a few chapters of the book under my belt when I was driving to college class one day, and I realized (like "aha!") what had happened between them in the past. I didn't have a notebook, so I pulled into a parking spot and excitedly wrote it down on a napkin.
3) The Sivli sword that Fallen angel Laphelle carries was actually an idea I originally had for another (unfinished) book. In that fantasy story, the villain was named Sivli, and he had a wicked sword with a snake on the hilt that would come alive and drink its wielder's blood.
4) After finishing the novel, one of my critique-readers suggested I change the character Jack to a female, as there aren't many female characters in the book. Jack became "Rachel" for a while, and then I changed the name to "Jackie." After a couple of other critique-readers pitched a fit (they liked Jack), I changed it back to the original male character. And I'm glad I did, as he is one of my favorites.
5) WINGS OF THE DIVIDED was originally just titled THE DIVIDED, and I had no plans of making it into a trilogy. It was just a stand-alone. Or so I thought... Several months after writing BOOK 1, I realized the story wasn't finished yet. And I started in on BOOK 2.
Hope you enjoyed these little fun facts! I'm planning on doing another set for BOOK 2 and 3! Taa-taa for now!