Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Attempt to Stay Positive

Let's face it. Life pretty much sucks. And the older you get, the more difficult it becomes.

It's really easy to get caught up in what my husband calls a "Negative Nancy" mind-frame (no offense to anyone named Nancy). And once we're caught up, we practically radiate Bad Mood to everyone around us. You know what that feels like--we all have those acquaintances who can't seem to find anything positive to focus on, and in turn, they spread their lousy mood like poison. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be that person!

Being negative is kind of contagious  It's like a cold--people around you seem to catch it. And then, once you have it, it takes real effort to turn it around again. It's a pretty lousy trap.

Now, I'm not about to pretend that I'm smiling and high on life 100% of the day. Hahahah! No way. But, as I've learned, there *are* ways to counteract the Negative Nancy virus from staying in your system very long.

One of the things I've learned to do is to counteract every negative thought with something I'm grateful for. Or I think of something that makes me smile or laugh. Let me give you an example: earlier today, I had a horrendous headache. The noise surrounding me only made it worse. But instead of getting upset that I had a headache, I acknowledged it, accepted that it was there, took some Tylenol, and thought to myself, "Well, at least it's not the stomach cramps I had last week. This is much, much more manageable."

Here's another thing I've discovered helps me not to stay negative: if you find yourself angry at someone for not being nice to you (because let's face it, jerk-offs are everywhere), as soon as you're out of his/her company, just stop thinking about him/her. Actually shrug your shoulders as if it no longer affects you, and you will find yourself instantly calmer. Put your focus on something else, anything else, the more remote from the moment the better. That person's attitude is truly not worth your time.

So much of how we feel in life is a Mind Thing. Sure, we experience crappy things all through the day, but here's the thing: we don't have to dwell on them. By not letting them rent any space in our heads, more than the actual moment in which they happen, we're not letting them own us anymore. And by countering the bad things with a thought and/or verbalization of things we're thankful for, we're zapping them with a mental laser gun. :) No more Negative Nancy. Just life and handling the difficulties as they come.

So the next time that guy cuts you off in traffic, let the moment pass, shrug it off, and then think of how grateful you are for having a working vehicle. I think you'll find that these attempts to stay positive will make your days a little brighter and at the very least, easier on the blood pressure!

What about you? Do you have ways you attempt to stay positive?


No comments:

Post a Comment