Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Three Thoughts on Exiting 2012

Picture taken at Trinity University
The end of 2012 is upon us, and inevitably, just like the end of every year, I find myself deep in thought. It's that annual time to go deep inside of myself and come to some conclusions about life. I've decided to share three main thoughts of mine upon exiting 2012:

#1) A charming personality is not the same thing as good character. The older I get, the less I care to have relationships with alluring but fickle people who have no depth, and the more I want to get to know those quiet souls who may seem reserved on the outside but who hold a great wealth of wisdom and integrity inside of them.

#2) I don't want to write anything but what I love to write. I've toyed around with a number of different genres over the past couple of years, and one of my goals for 2012 was to figure out which one I wanted to stick with. Turns out, it's the very thing I started writing back in high school: speculative fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, and horror) and every now and then, pen some creative non-fiction. I enjoy stories that are different, stories that are a bit fantastical, stories that may be a little dark. So that's what I need to write. And if that doesn't sell a million copies because it's not popular pulp fiction, so be it. I'm just not cut out to write just for the money, and it's good knowing that.

#3) A good diet is something I want to incorporate for the rest of my life. The benefits of eating well are astounding when they come to overall health. During 2012, I challenged myself to eat more fish and less red meat, consume more dark chocolate and less pastries, drink more green tea and coconut water and less alcohol, etc. Not only have these changes kept me at a weight which I like, I also haven't gotten sick but maybe twice the entire year--and the episodes were very short-lived. I want to continue my "healthy eating habits," as Mom calls it, and save myself from bouts of indigestion every other day.


Now, let me ask you: what thoughts do you have of 2012 as we enter into a new year? Comments always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment