Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Enlightenment from a Gas Pump

One of the issues I find myself gritting my teeth at these days is watching folks continue to make really, really bad choices. They come to me for advice when their lives are crumbling around them, and I hold their hands and yank them up and serve as the Voice of Reason. For a while, they listen, they understand, and they start to "get it." But so often, they wind up in the same situation, over and over, like a hamster stuck on one of those little wheels. It's so completely frustrating when you see people you care about act like utter fools. I was feeding my car with gasoline this morning, my mind reeling with this sort of angst, when I saw a quote that someone had written right on the gas pump:

"Time makes more converts than reason." --Thomas Paine

It was as if someone had written that just for me to see. I started laughing, cackling actually, right there in the lot, if only to stop myself from crying from the stupidity of the people I love. It was like someone was trying to tell me, You can give all the advice you want, sweetheart, but the only way people are going to "get it" is with time...and sometimes a loooong time.

I got inspired by Paine and started looking up some more of his quotes. This guy really had it figured out. Here's a good one:

"Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead."

And here's another:

"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry."

And lastly, because it especially resonates with me right now with the release of my angel book, is this one:

"Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us."


Chew on those...



No comments:

Post a Comment